The Ultimate Guide to Energy-Efficient Heating & Cooling in Portland
Are you a Portland business owner looking to manage energy expenses or a homeowner hoping to reduce residential heating and air conditioning costs? You might not know that an energy-efficient HVAC system is essential to keep utility charges in check.
Our heating and cooling services in Portland have compiled all you need to know. Read on for maintenance tips and upgrade options to keep your equipment running smoothly, while optimizing energy savings.
Energy-Saving Tips From Our Commercial & Residential HVAC Service Pros
Standard Maintenance Steps to Ensure HVAC System Efficiency
Unmaintained heating and air conditioning equipment can result in diminished energy efficiency. Why? Dirt and debris can collect in and around your HVAC system, causing damage and preventing proper function. Here are two critical steps you can take to ensure top performance and reduce energy consumption:
- Clean air filters: Air filters trap allergens and other contaminants before they can circulate through the air in your home or commercial property. If these filters are not cleaned or changed regularly, the excess build-up can cause your system to overwork leading to reduced efficiency. Check filters monthly and clean as needed. Replace every three months. For maximum efficiency and improved indoor air quality, upgrade to a HEPA or MERV air filter.
- Routine Tune-Ups Twice a Year: Heating and cooling units are complicated machines that require routine, expert care. Staying on top of your HVAC upkeep will increase longevity, preserve performance, and keep major problems at bay. All these factors have a positive impact on energy usage. Plan to have cooling equipment checked in the spring and heating equipment checked in the fall or winter. When considering a scheduled maintenance plan, always work with a qualified, local HVAC contractor in Portland. Our technicians will perform comprehensive system checks to keep your unit in prime shape.
Take Care of Your HVAC Ducts for Improved Energy Saving Capability
Healthy duct systems are crucial to overall energy efficiency in your home or office. Any cracks, leaks, or damage can significantly diminish duct functions. Make sure all parts of your system are sealed and free from leaks. Because ducts are often housed in hard-to-access places like walls and ceilings, we recommend calling in our team of professionals.
We use durable, long-lasting sealing equipment and will do a thorough investigation, including:
- Inspecting the entire duct system for problems or damage
- Repair and replace any damaged or disconnected components
- Gauge air return balance and system supply
If your ductwork seems to be functioning correctly, but is over 10 years old, you may want to consider a replacement. Older systems eventually wear down and aren’t as energy efficient as newer ducts.
Install Programmable Thermostats for Reducing Excess Energy Usage
Programmable thermostats are ideal for regulating energy output. Pre-programmed settings allow you to set the optimum times for heating and cooling. As a result, you could save between 10%-30% on your utility costs.
If you are new to smart and programmable systems, there are a variety of options:
- 7-day: Allows for a different setting every day of the week, with up to four unique settings per day
- 5+2-day: Offers the same temperature schedule for weekdays, and a separate one for the weekends
- 5+1+1: Provides the same weekday options as 5+2 models, but enables individual settings on Saturday and Sunday.
- Smart Thermostats: Assess your daily habits and automatically adjust to your heating and cooling needs. Some smart thermostats rely on apps or other devices and monitor everything from weather patterns to personal patterns.
Choose a system that works best for your HVAC unit and increases energy savings. If you utilize a programmable thermostat but are experiencing problems like inconsistent heating, it could be time for a new one.
Replace Outdated Heating and Air Conditioning Equipment
Unfortunately, heating, ventilation, and cooling units do not last forever. If you are looking to replace your older equipment, consider an upgrade to an ENERGY-Star rated system. Talk with our HVAC installers about options with high EER and SEER ratings. Not sure if you require a replacement? Our sales and service team can help determine your best course of action.
Commercial and Residential HVAC Services in Portland
To maximize your energy efficiency and reduce costs, it’s imperative your heating and air conditioning equipment is cared for by professionals. Expert installation, reputable repair, and thorough diagnostics are what set AAA Heating and Cooling apart from the competition. Our NATE-certified technicians are here to manage all your HVAC needs. Contact us today to see how we can help.