When you walk into your home, the first thing you often notice is how cool or warm it feels. When the air temperature doesn’t feel quite right, it’s natural to focus your attention on the thermostat. Turning the temperature up or down, however, is only one element of your home’s comfort system. It’s also important to consider air movement and humidity. Another important consideration is energy efficiency. Programmable thermostats not only make regulating the comfort levels in your home simple, they also help make your heating and cooling system more efficient.
Programmable Thermostats for Your Portland Home
AAA Heating and Cooling offers intuitive residential thermostats with a variety of functions controlled by a small computer that monitors the temperature, day and time. After installing a thermostat, a specialist will gladly program it for you based on your household’s schedule and needs. You’ll also learn how to make adjustments on your own.
Get the most out of your thermostat by:
- Keeping the temperature at energy-saving set points for periods of at least eight hours.
- Using the override function to temporarily make your home warmer or cooler without erasing the pre-set program.
- Using the “vacation” or “hold” feature to set an energy-saving temperature while you’re away from your home for an extended period.
Repairing and Maintaining Your Thermostat
If the following occurs, it’s time to call a AAA Heating and Cooling Specialist to maintain or repair your thermostat:
- The HVAC system continuously runs without stopping
- The HVAC system doesn’t turn on at the temperature in which the thermostat is set
- The HVAC system turns on at a temperature that’s different from the one you set
When your programmable thermostat doesn’t seem to work correctly, there a few troubleshooting tasks you can do on your own:
- Replace the batteries
- Set the fan to “Auto” instead of “Continuous” or “Off”
- Ensure the system is set to “Heat” during the winter and “Cool” during the summer
- Ensure the set-point temperature is higher or lower (depending on the season) than the room’s ambient temperature
Explore more tips and tricks here.
Types of Programmable Thermostats
Choosing the right thermostat can improve your quality of life and reduce your power bills. Basic models include:
- 7-day model: This model is great if you want to set a different temperature for every day of the week.
- 5+2-day model: Use this model if you want to set one schedule for the weekend and another for weekdays.
- 5+1+1 model: This model is ideal if you want to set one schedule for weekdays but separate schedules for each weekend day.
- Smart thermostats: Smart thermostat models learn your daily habits and adjust the temperature in your home accordingly. Some work in conjunction with smart devices and take into consideration elements such as the weather and your location to ensure your home is comfortable when you arrive.
The AAA Heating and Cooling Difference
AAA Heating and Cooling is committed to providing residents in Portland and the surrounding areas with reliable, quality thermostats that keep homes comfortable throughout the year. Whether you need to upgrade to a programmable thermostat or replace the one you have, our experts will happily recommend and install a user-friendly model that matches your budget and comfort needs. Contact us today to schedule your complimentary consultation.