Only You Can Prevent Clothes Dryer Fires
11/28/2011 Cause of recent fire released-NBC Channel 11 news
Grand Junction, Colorado-The cause has been released for a fire that ripped through a home Friday morning. Friday’s fire at Serenade Court left the family homeless and killed a cat. It has been ruled accidental. The fire was determined to have originated in the DRYER VENT!
In recent years there has been many stories about dryers that catch on fire. Should you be concerned? Yes of course. We should take seriously anything that may put our families at risk.
Was the problem the Dryer? Rarely!!
After investigating it is usually determined to have been the venting within the home catching on fire, and not the actual dryer.
Keep your dryer as lint free as possible. By keeping your dryer clean, not only will you significantly reduce the fire hazard, you will also save money $$$$$ as your dryer will run more efficiently and even last longer!
To keep your dryer clean:
- Use a lint brush or vacuum attachment to remove accumulated lint from under the lint trap and other accessible places on a regular basis.
- Inspect the venting on the outer wall. Common blockages include birds nests, rodent nests or just clogged guards and screens.
- Every 1-3 years, depending on your usage, have the dryer venting cleaned out by a qualified service company.
AAA heating and cooling offers dryer vent cleaning through out the Portland area. And in most cases the cost for the dryer vent cleaning is zero, when a complete furnace duct cleaning is completed…..Be safe and save money, get your dryer vent cleaned and start the new year off safely..